Prep 10 mins
Cook 45 mins
If you own a rice cooker this is a unique way to prepare a main dish or use this as a side dish. Can also be done on the stove top in about the same time.
- 1 cup barley
- 2 cups broth (of your choice)
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 ripe tomatoes, diced
- 1 (8 ounce) can mushrooms, drained
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley
- Put all in a rice cooker, stir and press the start button.
- Will be ready in about 45 minutes.
- I often add additional veggies such as frozen peas, celery, zucchini, thin sliced carrot etc.
This was very easy to make. It is the first time I used my rice cooker for something other than rice. It won't be the last, especially during the summer. I followed the recipe as shown but added frozen mixed veggies.
Exceeded my expectations for such everyday ingredients. I added peas, celery and leeks and used canned tomatoes and their juice. Tasty way to use what's in the frig, Tebo.
This was easy and delicious. We are big fans of barley and always enjoy new ways to prepare it. This was a winner.