Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr
5 Steps to Healthy Cooking – 500 Recipes for Lifelong Wellness Serves 8
Make and share this Barley Mushroom and Kale Stew recipe from Food.com.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cups chopped onions
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 12 ounces cremini mushrooms, trimmed and sliced
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh rosemary
- 1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes with juice
- 1 cup pearl barley
- 5 cups chicken broth
- 8 cups chopped kale
- 1⁄3 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
- In large saucepan, heat oil. Sauté onions 6-8 minutes. Add garlic, mushrooms and rosemary.
- Cook, stirring, 6-7 minutes until mushrooms are browned. Add tomatoes and cook, stirring, for 1 minute.
- Stir in barley and broth. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, 45 minutes or until barley is tender.
- Stir in kale and cook, stirring, 5-6 minutes or until wilted. Serve sprinkled with cheese.