Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr 4 mins
I found this recipe on the bake of a Pam's Barley packet. Sounds interesting and should make an easy winter meal. April 2013: Have made this recipe now and while it is quick and easy, does require the addition of salt and pepper to taste.
- 2 cloves, garlic, crushed
- 1 onion, chopped finely
- 500 g chicken pieces, boneless and skinless
- 1 carrot, peeled and grated
- 1 cup mushroom, sliced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil, extra virgin
- 3⁄4 cup pearl barley
- 1 teaspoon tarragon, dried
- 1 cup chicken stock, salt reduced
- salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees Celsius.
- Heat oil in a pan, add onion, garlic and chicken pieces, fry for 3 - 4 minutes until onion is clear and chicken is browned.
- Add carrot, mushrooms, barley, tarragon and stock, stirring to combine.
- Transfer to a large oven dish, cover and bake for 1 hour until barley is tender.