1/2 Photos of Barley, Black Bean and Corn Burritos
3 hrs 10 mins
This recipe came from Slow Cooking Magazine, and it is one of our family's favorites. I don't go to the bother of rolling each burrito as instructed in the recipe, but rather just stick the crock of barley mixture on the table along with tortillas, shredded lettuce and cheese, sour cream and salsa so everyone can make his/her own. It's super yummy, super easy and super filling. (I also omit the cilantro as we're a family of cilantro haters.) ***Note: the nutritional information shown with the recipe includes all the ingredients, but one serving of the barley filling alone is 145 calories. You can save lots of calories by going with light sour cream and cheese, and by choosing a lighter tortilla.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 15 ounces black beans, rinsed and drained
- 10 ounces diced tomatoes with green chilies, undrained
- 1 cup barley, uncooked (not the quick type)
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 3/4 cup frozen corn
- 1/4 cup green onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 18 small flour tortillas
- 1 cup sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 2 tablespoons sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 9 cups lettuce, thinly sliced
- 2 1/4 cups salsa
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1Place first 11 ingredients in slow cooker, stir well.
- 2Cover and cook on low for 3-4 hours or until barley is tender and liquid is absorbed.
- 3Stir in cilantro.
- 4Heat tortillas according to package directions.
- 5Spoon 1/3 cup barley mixture down center of each tortilla, sprinkle with 1 tbsp of cheese.
- 6Roll up.
- 7Place one cup of lettuce on each of 9 plates; top each with 2 burritos.
- 8Spoon 1/4 cup salsa and 2 tbsp sour cream over each serving.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Barley, Black Bean and Corn Burritos
Serving Size: 1 (364 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 9
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 484.1
- Calories from Fat 148
- Total Fat 16.4 g
- Saturated Fat 7.7 g
- Cholesterol 29.7 mg
- Sodium 1205.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 68.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 10.9 g
- Sugars 4.9 g
- Protein 18.9 g