Recipe by cookinginmarin
Great served with a salad, garlic bread and a nice Chianti! Very generous servings.
Top Review by tinaquevedodesigns
My Husband's favorite meal is lasagna. This is by far the best one I've ever made for him. So rich and flavorful! My entire family and extended family loves it. Never had one person I've made it for not rave about it. Making it tonight for my baby's third birthday!
- 29.58 ml olive oil
- 236.59 ml chopped yellow onion (1 onion)
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 680.38 g hot Italian sausage, casings removed
- 793.78 g can crushed tomatoes in puree
- 170.09 g can tomato paste
- 59.14 ml chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley, divided
- 118.29 ml chopped fresh basil leaf
- 9.85 ml kosher salt
- 3.69 ml fresh ground black pepper
- 226.79 g lasagna noodle
- 425.24 g ricotta cheese
- 85.04-113.39 g creamy goat cheese, crumbled
- 236.59 ml grated parmesan cheese, plus 1/4 cup for sprinkling
- 1 extra-large egg, lightly beaten
- 453.59 g fresh mozzarella cheese, thinly sliced
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- Heat the olive oil in a large (10 to 12-inch) skillet. Add the onion and cook for 5 minutes over medium-low heat, until translucent. Add the garlic and cook for 1 more minute. Add the sausage and cook over medium-low heat, breaking it up with a fork, for 8 to 10 minutes, or until no longer pink. Add the tomatoes, tomato paste, 2 tablespoons of the parsley, the basil, 1½ teaspoons of the salt, and ½ teaspoon pepper. Simmer, uncovered, over medium-low heat, for 25-30 minutes, until thickened and tomatoes have reached desired taste.
- Meanwhile, fill a large bowl with the hottest tap water. Add the noodles and allow them to sit in the water for 20 minutes. Drain.
- In a medium bowl, combine the ricotta, goat cheese, 1 cup of Parmesan, the egg, the remaining 2 tablespoons of parsley, remaining ½ teaspoon salt, and ¼ teaspoon pepper. Set aside.
- Ladle 1/3 of the sauce into a 9 by 12 by 2-inch rectangular baking dish, spreading the sauce over the bottom of the dish. Then add the layers as follows: half the pasta, half the mozzarella, half the ricotta, and one 1/3 of the sauce. Add the rest of the pasta, mozzarella, ricotta, and finally, sauce. Sprinkle with ¼ cup of Parmesan.
- Bake for 30 minutes, until the sauce is bubbling.