Prep 15 mins
Cook 0 mins
This sounds so delicious! The Barefoot Contessa recommends using Valrhona (French) or Callebaut (Belgain) brands of high quality chocolate for this so splurge!
- 2 1⁄2 cups whole milk
- 2 cups half-and-half
- 4 ounces bittersweet chocolate, chopped
- 4 ounces milk chocolate, chopped
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon instant espresso (or coffee powder)
- 4 -5 vanilla beans (or cinnamon sticks)
- Heat milk and half and half in a saucepan on medium heat to just below the simmering point.
- Remove the pan from the heat and add both types of chocolate.
- When they are melted, add the sugar, vanilla extract and espresso and whisk vigorously.
- Reheat gently and serve immedietly garnished with vanilla beans or cinnamon sticks.
This is a very tasty, decadent hot choclate drink. It had such a rich chocolate flavor, and was very smooth and creamy. The cinnamon stick or vanilla bean is very handy to use to stir the drink throughout, keeping all the flavors from separating. Made for the "Secret Ingredient" tag game.
I fixed this for my husband and myself. He didn't like it, but he doesn't care for too many flavors mixed together. I loved the coffee and vanilla. It was rich and very good. Thanks!
I made this for Comfort Cafe and it was the best. It's cold outside and this really hit the spot. I have always used the powdered hot chocolate mix that you buy in the store. Never again. This was delicious.