1/1 Photo of Barefoot Contessa's Chocolate Cupcakes and Peanut Butter Icing
From Barefoot Contessa at Home cookbook.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 12 tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 2/3 cup granulated sugar
- 2/3 cup light brown sugar, packed
- 2 extra-large eggs, at room temperature
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup buttermilk, shaken, at room temperature
- 1/2 cup sour cream, at room temperature
- 2 tablespoons brewed coffee
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup good cocoa powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
Peanut Butter Icing
- 1Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- 2Line cupcake pans with paper liners.
- 3In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, cream the butter and 2 sugars on high speed until light and fluffy, approximately 5 minutes.
- 4Lower the speed to medium, add the eggs 1 at a time, then add the vanilla and mix well. In a separate bowl, whisk together the buttermilk, sour cream, and coffee.
- 5In another bowl, sift together the flour, cocoa, baking soda, and salt.
- 6On low speed, add the buttermilk mixture and the flour mixture alternately in thirds to the mixer bowl, beginning with the buttermilk mixture and ending with the flour mixture.
- 7Mix only until blended.
- 8Fold the batter with a rubber spatula to be sure it's completely blended.
- 9Divide the batter among the cupcake pans (1 rounded standard ice cream scoop per cup is the right amount).
- 10Bake in the middle of the oven for 20 to 25 minutes, until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes, remove from the pans, and allow to cool completely before frosting.
- 11Peanut Butter Icing:.
- 12Place the confectioners' sugar, peanut butter, butter, vanilla, and salt in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with a paddle attachment.
- 13Mix on medium-low speed until creamy, scraping down the bowl with a rubber spatula as you work.
- 14Add the cream and beat on high speed until the mixture is light and smooth.
- 15Frost each cupcake with Peanut Butter Icing and sprinkle with chopped peanuts, if desired.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Barefoot Contessa's Chocolate Cupcakes and Peanut Butter Icing
Serving Size: 1 (1807 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 273.6
- Calories from Fat 151
- Total Fat 16.8 g
- Saturated Fat 8.1 g
- Cholesterol 46.4 mg
- Sodium 208.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 28.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.0 g
- Sugars 18.1 g
- Protein 5.5 g