Prep 20 mins
Cook 25 mins
From Barefoot Contessa at Home cookbook.
Make and share this Barefoot Contessa's Chocolate Cupcakes and Peanut Butter Icing recipe from Food.com.
- 12 tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 2⁄3 cup granulated sugar
- 2⁄3 cup light brown sugar, packed
- 2 extra-large eggs, at room temperature
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup buttermilk, shaken, at room temperature
- 1⁄2 cup sour cream, at room temperature
- 2 tablespoons brewed coffee
- 1 3⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup good cocoa powder
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon kosher salt
Peanut Butter Icing
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 cup creamy peanut butter
- 5 tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 3⁄4 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1⁄4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1⁄3 cup heavy cream
- chopped salted peanuts, to decorate (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Line cupcake pans with paper liners.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, cream the butter and 2 sugars on high speed until light and fluffy, approximately 5 minutes.
- Lower the speed to medium, add the eggs 1 at a time, then add the vanilla and mix well. In a separate bowl, whisk together the buttermilk, sour cream, and coffee.
- In another bowl, sift together the flour, cocoa, baking soda, and salt.
- On low speed, add the buttermilk mixture and the flour mixture alternately in thirds to the mixer bowl, beginning with the buttermilk mixture and ending with the flour mixture.
- Mix only until blended.
- Fold the batter with a rubber spatula to be sure it's completely blended.
- Divide the batter among the cupcake pans (1 rounded standard ice cream scoop per cup is the right amount).
- Bake in the middle of the oven for 20 to 25 minutes, until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes, remove from the pans, and allow to cool completely before frosting.
- Peanut Butter Icing:.
- Place the confectioners' sugar, peanut butter, butter, vanilla, and salt in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with a paddle attachment.
- Mix on medium-low speed until creamy, scraping down the bowl with a rubber spatula as you work.
- Add the cream and beat on high speed until the mixture is light and smooth.
- Frost each cupcake with Peanut Butter Icing and sprinkle with chopped peanuts, if desired.
frosting was amazing but didn't care for the cupcake part. Next time I'll use my normal recipe but this frosting
The recipe on this site was over written and could not be deciphered. I was looking forward to trying the peanut butter icing but could not read the ingredients or directions.
5 stars for the icing. I added a little more sea salt to it AND used the salted butter. Since the cupcake recipe didn't get reviews as good as the icing, I used the Hershey's "perfectly chocolate" cake recipe instead and they got rave reviews at my husband's birthday party. I topped them with 1/2 of a mini peanut butter cup and they were delicious! Note: If you use the Hershey's cake recipe, ONLY FILL THE CUPCAKE CUPS 1/2 FULL!