Recipe by Bri22
I just watched Barefoot Contessa and she made a romantic breakfast for dinner for her husband. I have posted the other things she made which are Barefoot Contessa's Hash Browns - Ina Garten, Barefoot Contessa's Chocolate Dipped Strawberries, and Barefoot Contessa's Raspberry Champagne. She also made sausage links which I'm sure everyone knows how to cook in a pan ;>
- 1 loaf challah, sliced and left out to dry
- 1 1⁄2 cups whole milk or 1 1⁄2 cups half-and-half
- 6 large eggs
- 1 pinch salt, to taste
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1⁄2 teaspoon grated orange zest, to taste
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla
- butter (for frying)
- oil (for frying)
Directions See How It's Made
- In a shallow dish large enough to hold three slices of challah side by side, whisk eggs and milk.
- Add orange zest, honey and vanilla.
- Add salt.
- Place three slices of the bread in the egg mixture and let soak about three minutes each side.
- Meanwhile melt one tbsp of butter and oil each in a large frying pan.
- Transfer challah to pan and cook 3 minutes on each side or until nicely browned.
- Add a little more butter for each round of bread.
- If you are making the other recipes transfer french toast to oven until rest of meal is complete.