Barefoot Contessa's Hot Chocolate
photo by Thorsten
- Ready In:
- 2 1⁄2 cups whole milk
- 2 cups half-and-half
- 4 ounces bittersweet chocolate, chopped
- 4 ounces milk chocolate, chopped
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon instant espresso (or coffee powder)
- 4 -5 vanilla beans (or cinnamon sticks)
- Heat milk and half and half in a saucepan on medium heat to just below the simmering point.
- Remove the pan from the heat and add both types of chocolate.
- When they are melted, add the sugar, vanilla extract and espresso and whisk vigorously.
- Reheat gently and serve immedietly garnished with vanilla beans or cinnamon sticks.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
see 1 more reviews
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
<p>I've collected recipes since I was a teen. After all these years I'm trying to get all my index cards and clippings, that still sound interesting to me, posted here so that I can find them and eventually make them! <br /> <br />I've posted some of my Mom's recipes. I regret not having paid more attention to my Grandmothers' cooking. They made some dishes that I miss and there were/are no recipes for them. <br /> <br />I have a wonderful DH and 2 wonderful sons. They are thrilled that I found this site since they directly benefit from it! Before finding 'Zaar, I was less of a cook and more of a recipe collector but now I try many more things and we're having more fun in the kitchen (at least I am)! <br /> <br />Thanks for all your ratings, comments and help in the forums AND for posting so many great recipes. You've enhanced my cooking skills and expanded my horizons! I've learned so much. <br /> <br />For fun, I also like to read fiction, travel, see movies and shows, shop (and I love to browse thrift shops and rummage/garage sales for cookbooks, etc.). <br /> <br />The discovery of a new dish does more for the happiness of mankind than the discovery of a new star Brillat-Savarin</p>