Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is the first Thai-style dish I ever attempted to make, after I 'discovered' how delicious Thai food is. This recipe is easy enough (for the beginner that I was 10 years ago) and the ingredients not too difficult to find. Prep time does not include the several hours to overnight marinading time.
- 2 lbs chicken thigh fillets
- 1⁄2 cup coconut milk
- 4 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 teaspoon cracked black peppercorns
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons turmeric
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro, root if possible
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 2 small fresh red chilies, chopped
- 1 tablespoon oil
Sweet vinegar sauce
- 1 small fresh red chile, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1⁄2 cup white vinegar
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- Cut chicken thighs in half and place in a bowl.
- Combine the next 9 ingredients (garlic thru oil) and grind to a paste using a mortar and pestle.
- Combine the paste with the chicken and mix well; refrigerate several hours or overnight.
- Just before serving, grill chicken until tender, basting frequently with coconut milk.
- Serve with sweet vinegar sauce.
- Sweet vinegar sauce: Grind chili and garlic to a paste using a mortar and pestle.
- Combine vinegar and sugar in a pan, stir over heat, without boiling, until sugar is dissolved.
- Bring to a boil, simmer, uncovered, without stirring, until syrup just begins to color; remove from heat, cool slightly, stir in chili and garlic paste.