Prep 15 mins
Cook 4 hrs
I think this is from an old Taste of Home...This is the best brisket I've tried. It just melts in your mouth. I did bake it closer to 3 1/2 hours before the sauce went on and 2 hours after. By the time I took it out it was falling apart tender.
- 1 (3 -4 lb) beef brisket
- 1 1⁄4 cups water, divided
- 1⁄2 cup chopped onion
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon cooking oil
- 1 cup ketchup
- 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- Place brisket in a large Dutch oven. Add 1/2 cup water, cover and bake at 275 for 2 hours.
- Meanwhile, in a medium saucepan, saute onion and garlic in oil until tender.
- Add ketchup, vinegar, lemon juice, brown sugar, Worcestershire sauce, cornstarch, paprika, chili powder, salt, pepper and remaining water.
- Simmer, uncovered for 1 hour, stirring occasionally.
- Drain drippings from Dutch oven. Pour sauce over meat.
- Cover and bake 1-2 hours longer or until meat is tender.
Excellent, I cooked it in the crock pot and it was excellent left over for sandwiches. Thanks for a keeper!