Prep 5 mins
Cook 2 hrs 20 mins
The sauce is also very good on pork ribs.
- 1 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 2 tablespoons garlic powder
- 2 tablespoons paprika
- 2 teaspoons pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 7 lbs bone-in short rib of beef
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 1 1⁄2 cups water
- 1 cup ketchup
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- In a bowl, combine the first seven ingredients; rub over ribs. Place in two large resealable plastic bags; seal and refrigerate overnight.
- Line two 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pans with foil; grease the foil. Place ribs in prepared pans. Bake, uncovered, at 325° for 2 hours or until meat is tender.
- Meanwhile, in a large saucepan, saute onion in oil until tender. Stir in the water, ketchup, tomato paste, brown sugar and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1 hour.
- Remove ribs from the oven. Grill ribs, covered, over indirect medium heat for 20 minutes, turning and basting frequently with sauce.