Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
These oval cakes date back to Tudor days and were originally sold around the town from special lidded baskets, wrapped in white cloths to keep them warm.
- Set the oven to 425ºF or Mark 7.
- Mix the melted butter, fruit, peel, sugar and spice together in a bowl, mixing well.
- Roll out the pastry on a lightly floured surface and, using a saucer, cut into about 16 circles.
- Divide the fruit mixture evenly between them, then dampen edges of the pastry circles and draw up into the center, sealing well.
- Turn over, and with hands, gently form the cakes into ovals, then press down very gently with a rolling pin.
- Make 3 diagonal cuts across the top of each cake, then brush with egg white and sprinkle with sugar.
- Place on lightly greased baking trays and bake for 15 to 20 minutes, or until golden.
- Serve slightly warm.