Recipe by Dawn
A nice salad that goes well with chicken or pork. For those trying to have a healthier diet this is a great addition that pleases most palates, even the younger ones.
- 3 medium red apples (cut and cored into 1/2 inch pieces)
- 1 banana, peeled and sliced
- 1⁄2 stalk celery (sliced)
- 1⁄4 cup chopped walnuts or 1⁄4 cup pecans
- 1⁄3 cup chopped dates
- 3 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1 dash lemon juice or 1 dash lime juice
- lettuce leaf
Candied Pecan Variation
- 1 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄8 teaspoon clove
- 2 cups pecan halves
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine all ingredients and toss lightly.
- Chill mixture and serve in lettuce cups.
- (To prevent bananas from turning brown marinate in lemon or lime juice for a few minutes.).
- Candied pecan variation: Combine first 4 ingredients in a medium sauce pan and cook over medium heat until sugar dissolves @ 5 minutes.
- Stir constantly and add pecans and vanilla, cook until syrup is absorbed @ 10-12 minutes.
- Place pecans on a baking sheet lined with wax or parchment paper and allow to cool.
- Chop up and add desired amount to salad.
- Extra pecans may be stored in an airtight container for @ 1 month.