Prep 15 mins
Cook 0 mins
A nice salad that goes well with chicken or pork. For those trying to have a healthier diet this is a great addition that pleases most palates, even the younger ones.
- 3 medium red apples (cut and cored into 1/2 inch pieces)
- 1 banana, peeled and sliced
- 1⁄2 stalk celery (sliced)
- 1⁄4 cup chopped walnuts or 1⁄4 cup pecans
- 1⁄3 cup chopped dates
- 3 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1 dash lemon juice or 1 dash lime juice
- lettuce leaf
Candied Pecan Variation
- 1 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄8 teaspoon clove
- 2 cups pecan halves
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Combine all ingredients and toss lightly.
- Chill mixture and serve in lettuce cups.
- (To prevent bananas from turning brown marinate in lemon or lime juice for a few minutes.).
- Candied pecan variation: Combine first 4 ingredients in a medium sauce pan and cook over medium heat until sugar dissolves @ 5 minutes.
- Stir constantly and add pecans and vanilla, cook until syrup is absorbed @ 10-12 minutes.
- Place pecans on a baking sheet lined with wax or parchment paper and allow to cool.
- Chop up and add desired amount to salad.
- Extra pecans may be stored in an airtight container for @ 1 month.
I served this great tasting salad with Christmas lunch. (Summer in Australia) Lovely with cold turkey and ham. Big hit with all!
Delicious, We really enjoyed this salad, served it on baby greens. DH finished it up for lunch the next day and said it was even better. I didn't candy the pecans, Dh is a diabetic. Thank you so much for posting the recipe.