Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
A picture of this was in a blow-in that was in a Gourmet Mag I got today so I search the web to find the recipe. Putting here for safe keeping. It does call for banana liqueur that I would leave out but it is up to you. Enjoy!
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 3⁄4 cup whipping cream
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 pinch salt
- 6 ounces unsweetened chocolate
- 1⁄2 cup unsalted butter
- 4 eggs
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2 1⁄4 cups pecans, coarsely chopped
- 1 1⁄2 cups whipping cream, chilled
- 2 tablespoons banana liqueur (optional)
- 4 bananas, thinly sliced
- additional coarsely chopped pecans (optional)
- Combine sugar and water in heavy medium saucepan, stir over low heat until sugar dissolves.
- Increase heat and bring to boil.
- Cook without stirring until caramel is deep amber color, brushing down any crystals that form on sides of pan with wet pastry brush and swirling occasionally, about 10 minutes.
- Remove from heat; carefully add cream.
- (mixture will bubble vigorously)
- Return to low heat and whisk until smooth.
- Add butter and salt and whisk until smooth.
- Cool to room temperature.
- (can be made 3 days ahead. cover and chill. Before using, warm over low heat until just pourable).
- Preheat oven to 350°F
- Butter three 9" diameter cake pans with 1 1/2" high sides.
- Line bottoms of pans with parchment or waxed paper; butter paper.
- Combine chocolate and butter in heavy large saucepan.
- Stir over low heat until melted.
- Whisk in eggs and sugar.
- Stir in flour, vanilla, and salt.
- Divide batter among prepared pans and spread evenly.
- Sprinkle 3/4 cup pecans atop each.
- Bake cakes until set and tester inserted into center comes out with a few moist crumbs still attached, about 15 minutes.
- Cool in pans on rack.
- Turn out layers and remove waxed paper.
- (can be prepared 1 day ahead. Store airtight).
- Beat whipping cream and liqueur to stiff peaks.
- Place 1 cake layer pecan side up on platter.
- Drizzle 1/4 cup caramel over.
- Cover with layer of bananas.
- Spread 1 cup whipped cream over bananas.
- Drizzle 3 tablespoons caramel over cream.
- Top with second cake layer.
- Repeat layering with 1/4 cup caramel, bananas, 1 cup whipped cream and 3 tablespoons caramel.
- Top with remaining cake layer.
- Drizzle 1/4 cup caramel over cake.
- Transfer remaining whipped cream to pastry bag fitted with large star tip.
- Pipe resettes of cream around top edge of torte.
- Garnish with bananas.
- Sprinkle with pecans.
- (can be made 4 hours ahead. chill).
- Re warm remaining caramel. Serve Torte with caramel.
- Prep time and baking time are approximated.