Recipe by Sarah Lewis
I found this recipe on iVillage. It's great for all that summer fruit and makes a very "gourmet" breakfast without too much effort.
Top Review by karen in tbay
DD made this gourmet breakfast treat this morning and it was very good and a nice change from the normal plain french toast but I wouldn't want to consume all those calories too often.
- 2 loaves wide French bread
- 1 (8 ounce) packagesoft cream cheese
- 2 tablespoons strawberry jam
- 1 pint blueberries
- 1 dozen egg
- 3 cups milk (at least 2%)
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 bag frozen strawberry
- 1 quart fresh strawberries
- 3 ripe bananas
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
Directions See How It's Made
- Chop strawberries and bananas and cream together with strawberry jam and cream cheese.
- Cut bread into 1 1/2 inch thick slices.
- Cut a pocket into the bread but do not cut through the crust on the bottom.
- Stuff with the filling.
- Mix the eggs in a bowl that is not too deep so that the bread does not get soggy.
- Then, using tongs, take your stuffed bread and put one side at a time into the egg mixture.
- Fry in butter until brown.
- Stack in a glass dish and keep warm in the oven until you are finished with the servings you need.
- Liquefy in a blender, 2 cups of strawberries, 1/2 cup sugar, and a little water to make a thick syrup.
- I use frozen berries for this part.
- Put one piece of the French toast on a plate.
- Top with the strawberry sauce.
- Sprinkle on confectionery sugar, and top with some fresh blueberries around the plate.
- Serve at once.