Prep 20 mins
Cook 35 mins
From the Old Mission San Juan Capistrano Cookbook
- 2 1⁄2 cups sifted cake flour
- 1 2⁄3 cups sugar
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 3⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 2⁄3 cup buttermilk
- 2⁄3 cup shortening
- 1 1⁄4 cups mashed ripe bananas (3 medium)
- 2 eggs, unbeaten
- 2 egg whites
- 1 1⁄2 cups brown sugar, firmly packed
- 5 tablespoons water
- 1 dash salt
For swirls on top of frosting
- 2 (1 ounce) squares sweet baking chocolate
- 1 tablespoon butter
For very top
- 1 large banana, sliced
- For cake:.
- Sift dry ingredients into large mixer bowl.
- Add shortening, buttermilk, and mashed bananas.
- Mix until all flour is dampened.
- Beat at low speed for 2 minutes.
- Add eggs.
- Beat 1 minute.
- Turn batter into 3 (8") or 2 (9") greased and floured layer cake pans.
- Bake in a moderate oven at 350 for 30-35 minutes, or until cake springs back when lightly touched with finger tip.
- For Frosting:.
- Combine frosting ingredients in top of double boiler.
- Beat slightly to mix.
- Place over rapidly boiling water.
- Beat with rotary egg beater or electric mixer at high speed until frosting stands in peaks, about 7 minutes.
- Remove from heat.
- Add 1 t vanilla.
- Beat 1 to 2 minutes or until thick enough to spread.
- Spread frosting between cake layers.
- Put layers together.
- Frost cake.
- For swirls, melt chocolate and butter.
- Make swirls by spooning melted chocolate and butter into frosting swirls.
- Spoon melted chocolate into swirls.
- Top with banana slices.