Recipe by ratherbeswimmin'
Southern Living; fabulous dessert.
Top Review by Kana
This is absolutely incredible. I made a kid-friendly version without the alcohol as it was my nine-year-old son's birthday wish. He has declared that this is what he wants every year! I used homemade toffee and homemade vanilla wafers using recipes from 'Zaar.
- 1 1⁄3 cups sugar
- 3⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 4 cups milk
- 8 egg yolks
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 (12 ounce) package vanilla wafers
- 1⁄4 cup Bourbon
- 2 tablespoons rum
- 6 ripe bananas, sliced
- 6 (1 1/2 ounce) english toffee-flavored candy bars, crushed
- 2 cups whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons sifted powdered sugar
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine first 3 ingredients in a large heavy saucepan; whisk in milk.
- Bring to a boil over medium heat, whisking constantly.
- Remove from heat.
- Beat egg yolks until thick and pale.
- Gradually stir one-fourth of hot mixture into yolks; add to remaining hot mixture, stirring constantly.
- Cook, stirring constantly, 1 minute.
- Stir in vanilla.
- Layer one-third of wafers in a 16-cup trifle bowl.
- Combine bourbon and rum; brush over wafers.
- Top with one-third of banana.
- Spoon one-third of custard over banana, and sprinkle with 1/3 cup crushed candy bar.
- Repeat layers twice.
- Beat cream at medium speed with an electric mixer until foamy; gradually add powdered sugar, beating until soft peaks form.
- Spread whipped cream over trifle, and sprinkle with remaining crushed candy bar.
- Cover and chill 3 hours.