Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
A twist on an old favorite
- 1 cup sugar
- 2⁄3 cup butter or 2⁄3 cup shortening
- 2 eggs
- 3⁄4 cup mashed banana
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄2 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 1⁄2 cups rolled oats (Not instant)
- 2 cups flour
- 3⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup nuts, chopped
- Sift flour, soda, baking powder and salt together.
- Cream together sugar and shortening. Beat in well beaten eggs. Stir in the vanilla, lemon juice, and banana.
- Add rolled oats and flour alternately to the banana mixture, mixing well after each addition. Stir in nuts.
- Drop by teaspoonfuls onto greased baking sheet and bake in preheated 350° oven 15 to 18 minutes, or until golden.
We enjoyed these cookies and it was a great way to use the brown bananas. A little cinnamon is also a good addition. Made for ZWT6 and were decorated by DD.
They're like banana bread, in cookie form. I added nutmeg - they would also be good with cinnamon and brown sugar.
These were wonderful cookies - I'm rating as a 4 instead of a 5, just because I think you need to make sure the batter is a little thicker, or they'll come out a thin and spread more than expected. I love the flavour, and I did add 1/4 cup of cinnamon chips and the nuts used were walnuts. I used butter, too, so next time I'll try shortening (or 1/2 and 1/2) and up the oats/flour if needed. I think once you make these a couple of times and get the consistency down, they'd be the best thing in the cookie jar! Made for Zaar Stars - thanks, iewe!!!