Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
This started out as a high fat recipe from epicurious.com. I replaced the white flour with whole wheat and whole wheat pastry flour, substituted nonfat yogurt and applesauce for the whole milk and butter and used raisins in place of nuts. In the end, you end up with a moist, flavorful, nutritious, fat-free muffin. What is better than that? They also freeze very well.
- 177.44 ml whole wheat pastry flour
- 118.29 ml whole wheat flour
- 236.59 ml oat bran
- 59.14 ml sugar
- 59.14 ml maple syrup
- 14.79 ml baking powder
- 2.46 ml salt
- 177.44 ml nonfat yogurt
- 59.14 ml unsweetened applesauce
- 2 egg whites
- 4.92 ml vanilla
- 3 small ripe bananas, mashed
- 236.59 ml raisins
- 59.14 ml chopped pecans
- Preheat oven to 400.
- Combine flour, oat bran, sugar, baking powder and salt in a large bowl.
- Whisk together yogurt, maple syrup, egg whites, vanilla and banana.
- Stir wet mixture into dry mixture just until combined.
- Stir in raisins.
- Divide batter among 12 muffin cups and sprinkle 1 teaspoon of pecans on each.
- Bake until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean, about 18-20 minutes.
- Transfer to rack to cool.
I love this recipe! I put 1/4 cup of flaked coconut and 1/4 cup of mini chocolate chips & used walnuts instead of pecan.
Wow, these are super moist! I ran out of Whole wheat pastry flour so I substituted Almond Flour. I also substituted an 1/8 cup of the stevia/sugar blend for the 1/4 cup of regular sugar and I added cran-raisins and pecans. Everyone loved them!!!!
These muffins are fabulous! They are hearty and very filling. The pecans give it a nice little crunch on top. I subbed half the raisins for dried blueberries. I was worried the mixture seemed to be very wet but it turned out perfectly and the applesauce is not listed in the directions. Thank you Caet your low fat version is one of my new favorite recipes.