Prep 15 mins
Cook 40 mins
Recipe from an email from a kitchen wharehouse supplier - looks interesting and would like to try if I can get some bananas ripened enough and not have the DS throw them out on me (24 year old nearing 25 with autism intellectual impairment), I just may get to make this recipe, in the mean time here for safe keeping. Times are estimated.
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3 bananas (mashed)
- 1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 1⁄2 cups plain flour (all purpose)
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons milk
- Preheat oven to 175C fan forced (for conventional I would recommend about 185C).
- Grease and line (with baking paper) a standard loaf tin.
- Sift flour, bi-carbonate and baking powder together.
- Cream butter and sugar with a stand mixer or hand held mixer until well mixed.
- Add the egg and mashed banana and mix well together.
- Add the sifted flour and baking powder till incorporated and mix well and then add the 2 tablespoons milk and mix through.
- Add sifted flour and baking powder till incorporated.
- Pour mix into prepared loaf pan.
- Bake for 35 to 40 minutes, test with skewer for doneness (should come out clean).
- Would recommend to leave in pan for 5 to 10 minutes before turning out.
With just one egg and 2 tablespoons of butter, I was skeptical, but decided to try this anyway. The results were excellent, although I wish I had used the full 1 cup of sugar as stated. I reduced it to 3/4 cup. About a cup of mashed bananas. I added 1/4 tsp of salt and 1 tsp vanilla. Baking time was almost an hour. So glad it didn't burn on top. Baked at 350 C. Being that it is less sweet it is excellent with butter slathered on and I don't feel too guilty as there wasn't much butter in the batter. I thought 1 egg wouldn't be enough to bind it together so I added my egg substitute (ground flax in warm water to make a sloppy egg consistency) Perfect!
Very good and easy! I made a medium loaf and an individual loaf (for the freezer). Thanks for sharing!
how did you know i had 3 bananas lol this is simple good tasting bread easy and fast to make