Recipe by andypandy
This recipe is for a pie. But you can make it into a cheesecake also. For a cheesecake I would beat 8 ounces cream cheese until light and smooth, and then fold into the egg gelatin cooked mixture when it is removed from the stove.
- 1 cup crumbled vanilla cookies or 1 cup chocolate cookies or 1 cup gingersnaps
- 1⁄2 cup finely chopped pecans or 1⁄2 cup hazelnuts or 1⁄2 cup toasted coconut
- 1⁄3 cup melted butter
- 1 tablespoon unflavored gelatin
- 1⁄3 cup cold water
- 3 egg yolks
- 1⁄2 cup granulated sugar
- 1⁄3 cup light rum
- 1⁄3 cup banana liqueur
- 2 1⁄2 cups whipping cream
- 1 large banana (thinly sliced)
- 2 tablespoons icing sugar, sifted
- 2 tablespoons coconut rum
- 1⁄3 cup toasted coconut
Directions See How It's Made
- Prepare the crust by mixing the crumbs, nuts, and melted butter.
- Combine well, and place into a 9 inch spring form pan.
- Refrigerate well.
- In a heavy saucepan place the cold water and sprinkle in the gelatin to soften.
- Allow to bloom for 2 minutes.
- Place over low heat now until it dissolves.
- Beat the egg yolks with the sugar until light lemon colour.
- Beat the gelatin into the beaten yolks and return mixture into saucepan and cook stirring constantly over low heat.
- Cook egg mixture until thickened slightly like an egg custard, just coating the spoon.
- Remove from heat, mixture will thicken more upon cooling and setting due to the gelatin.
- Stir in the rum and liqueur (If making this recipe into a cheesecake, this is when you would beat 8 ounces cream cheese until smooth and fluffy and fold into the custard mixture).
- Place into a bowl and cool well.
- Beat the whipping cream until light peaks form.
- Fold in all but 1/2 cup whipped cream (keeping the 1/2 cup for garnish).
- Arrange slices of banana over the bottom of the crust evenly and spoon the filling over top.
- Refrigerate at least three hours.
- Take the 1/2 cup of whipped cream and continue to beat with the powdered sugar and rum.
- Beat until stiff.
- Pipe the flavoured whipped cream over the top, and garnish with toasted coconut.