Prep 0 mins
Cook 0 mins
- 2 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 1⁄4 cup butter, softened
- 1⁄2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄4 cup cornstarch
- 1 packet vanilla wafer (12-oz)
- 7 cups milk
- 9 medium bananas, peeled & sliced
- 4 egg yolks, beaten
- Combine sugar, flour, and cornstarch in a medium mixing bowl.
- Mix well, and set aside.
- Pour milk into a large saucepan; cook over medium heat until candy thermometer registers 160 deg F.
- Gradually stir one-fourth of hot milk into yolks; stir into reserved dry ingredients, and add to remaining hot milk.
- Cook, stirring constantly, until mixture thickens and coats the spoon.
- Remove from heat, and stir in butter and vanilla.
- Let cool to room temperature.
- Line bottom of a 13 x 9 x 2-inch baking dish with one-third of the vanilla wafers.
- Arrange half of banana slices over wafers; top with half of cooled custard.
- Repeat layers, reserving one-third of wafers to crumble and sprinkle over custard.
- Chill thoroughly.
I was looking for a great desert and a good way to use up egg yolks--this was the perfect answer. I changed the recipe to serve 12, but used 5 bananas, 2-3 egg yolks and the whole box of vanilla wafers and the five of us finished it all.