Prep 1 hr
Cook 30 mins
Here is an interesting tropical twist on this creamy, rich confection that adds flavor without altering texture or appeal. Cooking times are approximate.
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1 vanilla bean, halved lengthwise
- 8 egg yolks, room temperature
- 1⁄2 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large bananas, sliced
- 1⁄4 cup coffee liqueur
- 1⁄4 cup brown sugar, packed
- Place the cream and the vanilla bean in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Bring to a boil. Remove from the heat and allow to cool for 15 minutes. Remove the vanilla bean from the cream and save it for another use.
- Place the egg yolks and granutlated sugar in a medium bowl. Whisk until smooth. Pour the cream into the yolk mixture in a steady stream, whisking constantly. Return the custard mixture to the saucepan and place it over medium low heat. Cookd until thickened, whisking constantly, about 10 minutes. DO NOT BOIL! Remove from the heat. Place the saucepan in a large bowl filled with ice and water. Continue whisking until the custard is completely cooled. Stir in the bananas and the coffee liqueur. Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Preheat the broiler. Spoon the custard into 4 3/4 cup ramekins. Sprinkle evenly with the brown sugar. Broil until the sugar caramelizes, watching carefully so that it doesn't burn. Serve immediately, or chill completely and serve.