Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
A lovely dessert for Passover or any other time. From Gourmet Magazine. Recipe works best if your eggs are at room temperature.
- 7 eggs, separated
- 1 1⁄3 cups sugar
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice, fresh
- 1 teaspoon orange rind, freshly grated
- 4 bananas, very ripe, mashed (approx. 1 and 1/3 cups)
- 1 cup matzo meal
- 1 cup almonds, blanched, corasely ground
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In a large bowl, beat yolks till thick and pale.
- Gradually add in sugar, beating till mixture is very thick.
- Beat in lemon juice and orange rind.
- Add in bananas, meal, almonds and salt and beat until mixture is well combined.
- In a separate bowl, beat egg whites till they just hold stiff peaks.
- Fold the whites into the batter gently but thoroughly.
- Pour batter into an ungreased, 9" tube pan (3 and 1/2" deep) with a removable bottom.
- Bake in the middle of the oven for 55 - 60 minutes or until a tester comes out clean.
- Remove from oven and invert over the neck of a bottle so torte can cool upside down.
- After torte has cooled, run a thin knife around the edge and tube of the pan.
- Remove the sides of the pan and run knife under the bottom of the torte to release it.
- Carefully transfer torte to a serving plate.
Very nice and tasty dessert! I was worried about folding the whites into the batter but my torte came out perfectly. Thank you Kate!
This is a delicious and refreshing dessert. I served it to company and we all loved it. I had no problems getting it to come out of the pan, which is good beacause that step always scares me LOL! Thanks for a well written and easy to follow recipe!