Prep 5 mins
Cook 1 min
I love eating oatmeal in the morning - it's cheap, filling, and tasty. However, I got a little bit sick of the usual raisins and apples variety. I came up with this oatmeal after reading about "overnight Oatmeal" in the "Student's Vegetarian Cookbook", and it tastes just like banana bread.
- 1⁄3 cup quick oats
- 1⁄2 cup soymilk (vanilla soy milk is the best!) or 1⁄2 cup dairy milk (vanilla soy milk is the best!)
- 1⁄2 medium banana, sliced
- 1 teaspoon packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon chopped walnuts (optional)
- Combine all ingredients and stir well, mashing up banana if desired.
- Chill overnight or heat in microwave for about 1 minute.
- Stir well.
- If chilling overnight, eat cold.
- Otherwise, eat immediately!
This was really satisfying, and tasty! I was looking for something more substantial than cold cereal, and this was it! I made it with the vanilla soy milk, and it had a great flavor. I did the microwave version today - I'm going to try the overnight version for tomorrow morning.
i tried it cold, i think i'd like it better warm, but, i'll definitely make it again
It wasn't great, but definitely not terrible either. I felt it kind of lost the banana flavor by mashing it up and stirring it in, but I guess that's my fault for preparing it that way. I definitely want to try it cold with sliced bananas sometime.