Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
Got this recipe from a friend. It is a simple, easy and yummy recipe. It's not too sweet, well at least I don't like it too sweet (so if I were to use ripe bananas, I would decrease the amount of sugar to maybe a 3/4 cup), and the best part of it is that no margarine or butter is used in this yecipe. :)
- Prehead oven to 350°F.
- Mix flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt together.
- Smash bananas.
- Whisk egg whites and sugar until stiff or take on a creamy look.
- Mix egg yolks with smashed bananas and 1/2 of the amount of flour.
- Then gradually add in the remaining flour.
- Fold in egg whites/sugar mixture into the banana mixture (Note: do not overmix) Pour mixture into a greased tin and bake for approximately 1 hour.
YYYYYYYYYYuuuuuuuuuuuuuummmmmmmmmmmmeeeeeeeee! We like it! It is moist and 'fluffy' with a crispy brown crust. We turned the oven off about 5 min early (but did not take it out till the timer ended.) Also, we used organic Succanat instead of regular sugar. Also, I think it would be slightly more delightful with chopped walnuts baked into the top.
it is great to find a recipe without butter or margerine--the sugar is low enough too--smells and looks great! I did happen to sprinkle chopped walnuts over the top of one of two batches I made in a square cake form before I read the reviews...lol!--great for those with certain health issues but still love bananas. Very easy to make--different way than I have ever worked with it--but easy enough! Since I am freezing meals for my parents I can't say that I tasted it--but I sure want to!
Awesome recipe!! I'm on a low calorie diet, this recipe is great. Instead of making a loaf of bread, I use the same recipe, add a little bit of cinnamon and bake in a muffin tin. The recipe makes about 18 muffins at only app. 80 calories each!!