I took my mom's recipe and made it a bit healthier. If you want to make it extra moist, you can double the applesauce and yogurt (to 1/2 cup each).
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄3 cup white sugar
- 1⁄3 cup brown sugar
- 2 -4 overly ripe bananas, peeled and mashed
- 1⁄4 cup yogurt (plain or vanilla flavored) or 1⁄4 cup milk (skim is fine)
- 1⁄4 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Grease a loaf pan (or muffin pan).
- Cream the butter and sugars until light and fluffy.
- Add the bananas, yogurt, applesauce, egg, and vanilla and mix well.
- In a separate bowl mix, together flours, baking powder, baking soda, salt and cinnamon.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and mix well. [Variations: Add 1 small apple (peeled, cored and diced), 1/2 cup chopped walnuts, or 1/2 cup chocolate chips].
- Pour into the pan and bake for 1 hour to 1 hour 15 minutes until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean (if baking muffins, bake for 20-30 minutes).
- Cool in the pan for 5-10 minutes before removing from the pan and cooling completely on a wire rack.
Great recipe! I followed the recipe, except I used eggbeaters, 3 bananas and skim milk. They made 9 beautifully domed muffins that baked for 25 minutes. I'm going to use this recipe as a basic and try adding nuts, chocolate chips, etc. Thanks again!
Very tasty. Liked the added texture the whole wheat flour gives this. I used the brown sugar, but replaced the white sugar with Splenda. Very moist for being lowfat! Thanks for this keeper.