1/1 Photo of Banana - Applesauce - Blueberry and Walnut Fat-Free Quick Bread
Chef #1345320's Note:
I was looking for something more healthy for a quick breakfast or snack. This is a great moist quick bread that comes together quickly and husband thinks is good too. It's good plain or with a "touch" of peanut butter (a favorite of my husband) across the top. I divide this into two 8 x 4 loaf pans instead of one 9 x 5 pan. It bakes quicker, stays moist, and goes a bit farther without my husband thinking he's not getting enough too.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 over-ripe bananas
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce (I've used up to a total of 1 cup of applesauce if the mixture seems too stiff or dry)
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 cups flour
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8-1/4 teaspoon cardamom
- 1 cup fresh blueberries
- 1/2 chopped walnuts
- 1Pre-heat oven to 350.
- 2Spray two 8 x 4 loaf pans with non-stick spray.
- 3In large bowl, blend together bananas, lemon juice, applesauce and brown sugar. I use a hand-held blender, which purres everything quickly and evenly.
- 4In another large bowl, wisk together dry ingredients.
- 5Add to dry mixture blueberries and nuts and toss until flour coated. This helps to prevent the berries and nuts from settling to the bottom during baking.
- 6Add flour-berry/nut mixture to the moist-banana mixture. Mix together by hand folding contents until all is moistened being careful not to overmix.
- 7Divide final mixture into the two loaf pans, spreading contents evenly. Place in oven center for about 35 to 40 minutes, until tooth pick comes out clean and the tops are lightly golden brown. I've found the tooth pick test happens first but wait about 5 or so more minutes for the tops to brown.
- 8Remove from oven and cool. Even better when served the next day. I cut the loaves into 1 inch thick slices, serving 2 per person.
- 9I've also substitued coarsely chopped sweet cherries (1 cup) and cinnamon (1 tsp) for the blueberries and cardamom. Very, Very good too, for all those cherry lovers out there!
Browse Our Top Quick Breads Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Quick Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Banana - Applesauce - Blueberry and Walnut Fat-Free Quick Bread
Serving Size: 1 (102 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 225.1
- Calories from Fat 6
- Total Fat 0.7 g
- Saturated Fat 0.1 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 302.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 52.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.6 g
- Sugars 22.2 g
- Protein 3.9 g