Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
I see a lot of Apple Brown Betty recipes posted on here but none like my mom's with bananas in it! She used to make this often for dessert after dinner on weekdays. Sometimes we'd eat any leftovers for breakfast the next morning! I love it!
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 apples, pared and sliced
- 3 bananas, peeled and sliced
- 3 cups small bread cubes (Mom always used whole wheat)
- 3 tablespoons butter
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Mix sugar, salt and cinnamon together; combine with sliced apples and bananas.
- In a skillet, brown bread cubes in the butter.
- Fill buttered baking dish with alternate layers of bread cubes and fruit using bread cubes as top and bottom layers.
- Cover dish and bake 30 minutes.
- Remove cover and bake 15 minutes longer or until apples are tender.
BF didn't like this at all...Said it was like eating 3 desserts in one...TOO much going on! I didn't like the combination very much either...I'm sorry I wasted the ingredients...I'd have been better off making either an apple dessert, a banana dessert OR a bread pudding, rather than this mishmash :(
A great tasting Apple Brown Betty. Would never have though to adding bananas which makes for a lovely change when it comes to this apple dessert. Thank you for sharing your mom's recipe.
Ohhh AprilShowers! This was really yummy! It tasted like french toast with warm fruit on top. Mmmmmm! I used whole wheat bread and served it with a scoop of vanilla ice cream. I am sure I'll be making this again. Thanks for sharing!