Recipe by Sara 76
This is from the Heart Foundation. I haven't tried it yet.
Top Review by Outta Here
I am giving 4 stars because of the flavor of these. They are not too sweet and are rich in banana flavor. I made as written, though, and found the batter to be too thin. The muffins rose up nice and high, but then collapsed as they cooled, and the texture was spongy. This was most likely caused by the amount of moisture in them. I would leave out the milk, or add a bit more flour next time, and cut back the amount of margarine a bit. Made for ZWT 7.
- 3 ripe bananas
- 1⁄3 cup brown sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla essence
- 3⁄4 cup margarine, melted
- 1⁄4 cup skim milk
- 1 egg
- 2⁄3 cup whole wheat self-rising flour
- 2⁄3 cup white self-rising flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- 1⁄2 cup walnuts, chopped
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 200°C Brush a little of th emargarine over muffin pans.
- Mash bananas in a mixing bowl, add sugar, vanilla and the remaining margarine and mix well.
- Break the egg into cup or small bowl and beat lightly with a fork. Stir the egg and milk into the banana mixture.
- Stir in flour, bicarbonate of soda and half the walnuts and mix until just combined. Spoon mixture into the repared muffin pans and sprinkle remaining walnuts over the top of the muffins.
- Bake until risen, cooked through, and golden brown, about 15-20 minutes.