Prep 30 mins
Cook 6 mins
Adapted from Cooking Light.
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (each weighing 4 ounces)
- 8 cups gourmet salad greens
- 1⁄2 cup basil leaves
- 1⁄3 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1⁄3 cup finely chopped shallot
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground pepper (or to taste)
- To make vinaigrette: place all vinaigrette ingredients into the container of an electric blender; I also add salt to taste.
- Process until smooth; will keep in the refrigerator for up to 1 week.
- To make the salad: Add 1/2 cup Balsamic Vinaigrette and chicken breasts to a shallow dish.
- Cover and chill in the refrigerator for 1 hour.
- Take chicken out of the dish and throw away marinade.
- Put the chicken on a broiler pan coated with non-stick cooking spray.
- Broil for 6 minutes on each side or until done.
- Add the remaining Balsamic Vinaigrette to the salad greens; toss to coat.
- Divide salad greens among 4 individual plates; top each salad green bed with a chicken breast.
Loved this vinaigrette over greens this evening for supper. Didn't have chicken but will another time. Used stevia instead of honey, and 1/2tbsp dried basil instead of basil leaves. This is so good I'm reserving the fifth and last star for when I use fresh basil leaves and prepare the chicken with it..that will be outstanding!