Prep 30 mins
Cook 40 mins
Discover the joys of home-made pizza with this flavourful recipe for pizza topped with glazed balsamic chicken. Servings: Makes 1 pizza (plus dough for 2 more).
- 1 1⁄4 lbs strong flour
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄4 ounce instant yeast
- 1 1⁄4 cups warm water, approximately
For the basic tomato sauce
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, chopped
- 7 ounces cherry tomatoes
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
For the chicken topping
- 1 chicken breast fillet, chopped into small pieces
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon olive oil, plus extra for drizzling
- 1 red onion, finely sliced
- 1 fresh mozzarella ball, torn into pieces
- chopped cilantro leaf, to garnish
- First make the pizza dough. In a bowl, mix together the flour, salt and yeast. Gradually add in the warm water, mixing as you add it in, until the mixture comes together into a dough.
- Knead the dough on a lightly floured work surface until smooth and elastic. Set aside in a warm place for 30 minutes, until doubled in size.
- Meanwhile, cook the tomato sauce. Heat the olive oil in a heavy-based saucepan. Add in the onion and garlic and fry very gently for 5 minutes.
- Add in the cherry tomatoes and cook gently for 15 minutes, stirring now and then. Season with salt and freshly ground pepper. Crush the cooked cherry tomatoes with a masher.
- Meanwhile, prepare the chicken topping. Place the chicken in a bowl, sprinkle over 1 tablespoon of balsamic vinegar and set aside for 10 minutes.
- Heat the olive oil in a frying pan. Add in the chicken and fry, stirring, for 5 minutes, until cooked through. Add in the remaining balsamic vinegar, scraping the frying pan with a wooden spatula to deglaze it.
- Break the risen dough down and divide into 3 even-sized portions.
- Preheat the oven to 450°F
- To make a pizza, roll out one of the pizza dough portions into a large disc and place it on a baking sheet.
- Top the pizza with the fried balsamic chicken, then sprinkle over the red onion. Dot with the mozzarella and drizzle over with olive oil.
- Bake for 8 minutes. Sprinkle with cilantro and serve at once.