Prep 15 mins
Cook 3 hrs
This was given to me by one of my Russian Language teachers. It is best served cool on rye or pumpernickel toast points. Passive time is chilling time.
- 1 large eggplant
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 tomatoes, peeled and chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons vinegar
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- Pierce an eggplant with a fork in several places, put on a baking sheet and bake, about an hour to an hour and a half (for your desired tenderness), turning while baking, until soft in a 325 degree oven.
- Refrigerate until cool.
- Cut the eggplant, lengthwise, in half and scoop out the pulp.
- Chop the pulp until very fine.
- Mix onion, tomatoes, eggplant pulp, garlic, oil, and vinegar together and season with salt and pepper.
- Cover and refrigerate for several hours.
- Baklazhanovaya Ikra is served with chopped parsley.
Tastes really good, especially when left overnight in fridge to marinate and blend the flavors. Baked the eggplant for about 1&1/2 hrs for it to be sufficiently soft. Thank you for delecious recipe.
We've been making this forever :) it's soooo yummy!!!! I have this with potatoes, on toast, on chicken...it goes with everything
Made this as written with the exception of roasting the garlic along with the eggplant. This was really yummy, and we ate it with a sliced toasted baguette.