Prep 10 mins
Cook 40 mins
Entered for nutritionals and safe keeping, another barley risotto, vegetarian. I am unsure on number of servings. Recipe by Dori from http://thebakehouse-recipes.blogspot.com/.
- 4 cups water
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons frontier brand vegetable stock powder
- 1 cup pearl barley
- 1 1⁄2 cups chopped sweet onions
- 1 teaspoon garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon morton's nature's seasoning
- 2 teaspoons red miso or 1⁄2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary or 1 teaspoon thyme
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons nutritional yeast flakes
- 3⁄4 cup sliced mushrooms
- 1 cup cooked red beans (watch the salt if you use canned beans)
- 1⁄2 cup red pepper, coarsely chopped
- 1⁄4 cup soymilk (for a creamier feel to the sauce) or 1 tablespoon plain soymilk powder (for a creamier feel to the sauce)
- To make this recipe place the ingredients in the rice maker in any order, give it a stir, put on the lid, and push the cook button.
- Dori served it with reitan roast and green beans.
Really good! This recipe couldn't be any easier, and the results were really creamy and flavorful. I didn't have any soy milk or powder, so I left it out; also, I replaced the chopped red pepper with chopped carrot. Everything was cooked the perfect amount...I was a little surprised, actually. Thanks for sharing this simple, tasty side dish.