Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
If you love to order deep fried zucchini sticks in restaurants, then you will LOVE this healthier at home version. You won't even be able to tell they aren't deep fried! I Serve them as a side to steak and a salad.
- 1⁄2 cup cornmeal
- 1⁄4 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- fresh ground pepper
- 1 zucchini
- 1 egg
- olive oil
- Mix flour, cornmeal, salt, basil and pepper on a plate.
- Beat egg in a small bowl.
- Slice zucchini into 1/4" thick coins (its easier to brown them more evenly in the oven if they are coins because you only have to flip them once).
- Dip zucchini into egg and then into cornmeal mixture.
- Coat a parchment lined cookie sheet with a couple of tablespoons of olive oil. Arrange zucchini coins on cookie sheet and bake at 425° for about 10 minutes per side, until golden brown.
- Serve with bottled blue cheese or ranch dressing as an appetizer or with steak and salad for a meal.
A good different way to have zucchini.
I really wanted to enjoy this recipe but it just didnt end up being what I expected.. DH and I both love zucchini, but for me it didnt do it.. perhaps it is just a matter of taste. I think with some tweaking on my end.. I may try this recipe again. Made for Spring PAC 2009.
A lovely different way to eat zucchini, toddler DD had fun helping dip these and DH even ate them & he normally leaves zucchini on the side of his plate. Thanks V.