I like to use the sauce as a base and change the meat and pasta. Easy to put together and rarely leftovers! Stacey
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1⁄4 yellow onion, finely chopped
- 12 ounces Italian sausages
- 3 cups ground tomatoes
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano, crumbled
- 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 8 ounces ricotta cheese
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- 1 lb dry ziti pasta
- 8 ounces shredded mozzarella cheese
- Preheat oven to 440°F.
- in a large saucepan heat olive oil add yellow onion and cook until tender.
- add sausage, continue to cook for 2 minutes.
- add tomatoes, oregano and basil.
- simmer sauce on low In a large bowl, combine ricotta cheese, salt,parsley and parmesan cheese.
- set aside.
- In a large pot of boling salted water, cook pasta until it is not quite al dente.
- drain pasta and combine with ricotta cheese mixture.
- remove sauce from heat and allow to cool for 5 minutes.
- after cooling, add sauce to pasta/ricotta mixture and mix well.
- pour mixture into a 4-5 quart baking dish.
- spread mozzarella cheese evenly over pasta.
- bake until cheese begins to brown, about 20 minutes.
- let stand 5 minutes before serving.
Very delicious! I didn't change a thing, only doubled the recipe to make in a deep dish pan to take to a party - it was inhaled in no time and I have a new favorite party dish!
Mmmmmm....yummy! It's kind of like one of those "lazy lasagna" casseroles. I added minced garlic to the sauce and increased the sausage to 1 lb and browned and crumbled it. We all enjoyed this meal. Thanx for sharing.