Prep 25 mins
Cook 25 mins
I like to use the sauce as a base and change the meat and pasta. Easy to put together and rarely leftovers! Stacey
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1⁄4 yellow onion, finely chopped
- 12 ounces Italian sausages
- 3 cups ground tomatoes
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano, crumbled
- 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 8 ounces ricotta cheese
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- 1 lb dry ziti pasta
- 8 ounces shredded mozzarella cheese
- Preheat oven to 440°F.
- in a large saucepan heat olive oil add yellow onion and cook until tender.
- add sausage, continue to cook for 2 minutes.
- add tomatoes, oregano and basil.
- simmer sauce on low In a large bowl, combine ricotta cheese, salt,parsley and parmesan cheese.
- set aside.
- In a large pot of boling salted water, cook pasta until it is not quite al dente.
- drain pasta and combine with ricotta cheese mixture.
- remove sauce from heat and allow to cool for 5 minutes.
- after cooling, add sauce to pasta/ricotta mixture and mix well.
- pour mixture into a 4-5 quart baking dish.
- spread mozzarella cheese evenly over pasta.
- bake until cheese begins to brown, about 20 minutes.
- let stand 5 minutes before serving.
I tried it, but found it to be much to bland for my taste. The sauce gets sucked up by the ricotta to the point that there is no sauce left. Too dry.
Very delicious! I didn't change a thing, only doubled the recipe to make in a deep dish pan to take to a party - it was inhaled in no time and I have a new favorite party dish!
Mmmmmm....yummy! It's kind of like one of those "lazy lasagna" casseroles. I added minced garlic to the sauce and increased the sausage to 1 lb and browned and crumbled it. We all enjoyed this meal. Thanx for sharing.