Prep 45 mins
Cook 45 mins
Layers of pasta, eggplant cooked in a fresh tomato sauce and cheese is wonderful comfort food
- 1 lb eggplant, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 lb ziti pasta (or penne pasta)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 medium onion, copped
- 1 garlic, chopped fine
- 1⁄4 cup vegetable oil
- 796 ml tomatoes, cut and undrained
- 156 ml tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons oregano, chopped
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons basil, chopped
- 1⁄4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1⁄4 cup parmesan cheese
- 500 g ricotta cheese
- 1 egg, beaten
- 750 ml mozzarella cheese, grated (3 cups)
- Place eggplant cubes in colander, sprinkle generously with salt. Let stand for 30 minutes. Rinse and drain thoroughly.
- Cook ziti in large amounts of boiling salted water until tender; drain. Add butter and toss to coat.
- In large skillet, cook eggplant, onion and garlic in oil until tender. Stir in tomatoes and tomato paste, 1/2 tsp salt, basil, oregano and red pepper flakes. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat and stir in parmesan cheese.
- In small bowl, blend ricotta cheese, egg and remaining 1/2 tsp salt.
- In shallow three quart (3mL) casserole, layer half each: cooked pasta, tomato mixture, ricotta cheese mixture and mozzarella cheese. Repeat layering with remaining ingredients. Bake at 350 for 45 minutes or until cheese melts.
Soooooo goooooood!! Made it in 2 8" pans for OMAC. Freezes like a charm. My eggplant hating husband has been requesting this one over and over again. Definitely a keeper!