Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is a tried and true recipe. Good with a crisp salad and some garlic bread.
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1⁄2 cup tomato paste
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 2⁄3 cup water
- 1 teaspoon leaf oregano, crumbled
- 1 teaspoon basil leaves, crumbled
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 cup ricotta cheese
- 6 ounces mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 8 ounces ziti pasta, cooked and drained
- Sauté onion in oil until it's tender.
- Add tomato paste, tomato sauce, water, oregano, basil, salt and pepper.
- Simmer, covered, for 10 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 375ºF.
- Coat casserole dish with cooking spray.
- Combine ricotta and 1/2 of the mozzarella in a large bowl.
- Add cooked ziti and half of the sauce.
- Turn into prepared casserole dish and pour on the remaining sauce.
- Sprinkle with the remaining cheese.
- Bake for 25 to 30 minutes.
This is a very simple yet deliciously easy to prepare supper. I added a touch more mozzarella cheese to the mix, as we enjoy lots of cheese! Wonderful flavor in this scrumptious Italian dish! Add the tossed green salad and some garlic Italian bread like Miss Annie suggested and you are all set! Thanks for another great supper, Miss Annie!
A perfect baked ziti recipe. The bottled sauces just don't do this justice--this simple sauce is so much better. I added a little more ricotta and may try sliced olives in it next time.
we made this for a large crowd. It went over well and was very easy to make. I enjoyed the leftovers as well. Will make again. Highly recommend.