Prep 45 mins
Cook 1 hr
I love this recipe because it's always better the next day.
- 1 lb ground beef
- 6 links sweet Italian sausage
- 2 your favorite sauce
- 1 yellow onion
- 2 garlic cloves
- 2 tablespoons italian seasoning
- 1 pinch crushed red pepper flakes
- salt and pepper
- 2 lbs ziti pasta
- 3 pre-shredded mozzarella cheese
- dried parsley
- Heat a pan with olive oil, add in chopped onion and garlic. Saute for 2 minutes. Add in ground beef and cook until done. Add in Italian seasoning and red pepper.
- When done, set meat aside.
- Using same pan remove the casings from the sausage and crumble and saute until crispy, not burnt.
- Heat water to a rolling boil to cook pasta.
- Cook ziti al dente.
- The same pan mix sausage and ground beef.
- Add sauce and pasta to pan with meat and mix.
- In an aluminum tin, line the bottom with the meat and pasta mixture and sprinkle cheese. Keep layering until done adding cheese in between. You may need two tins.
- Bake in oven at 350°F covered for about 1/2 hours. Remove tin foil and continue baking for another 1/2 hour or until crispy and golden brown.
- Remove from oven. Sprinkle with parsley and cut into squares and serve.
This recipe does make lots! It is easy to put together and freezes well. I followed CarolAT's suggestion and used two 24 oz jars of sauce and three 8 oz packages shredded mozzarella cheese. I did add some freshly grated Parmesan as well. The casserole was layered in a 9x9 inch square pan (estimated 4 servings) and 6 loaf pans (estimated 3 servings each). The pans were covered with foil and placed in the freezer for a quick weeknight dinner.
This dish is very tasty; however, the directions were a little hard to follow and the serving size posted is incorrect. The directions for: 2 your favorite sauce and 3 pre-shredded mozzarella cheese was not clear so I had to guess. I used two 24oz jars of my favorite tomato and basil sause and 3 cups of shredded mozzarella cheese. I also used Penzeys Italian Herb mix for the Italian seasoning. The recipe states the dish is for 4 servings but then calls for 2 lbs of ziti pasta. I made 1 1/2 lbs of ziti, and I had at least 16 servings not four. This recipe makes a lot so I decided to freeze some to enjoy on other days. This recipe would be great to use if you had to take a dish for a pot luck because it will serve a lot of people.