Prep 35 mins
Cook 15 mins
This is the way my mom makes yams every Thanksgiving....it definitely would NOT be the same dinner without them! No one in my family ever liked yams or sweet potaotes until she made these-they are incredible!!!
- 2 large yams
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- Preheat oven to 400.
- Cook potatoes in boiling water about 25-30 min, or until tender; drain.
- In a lrage bowl, mash potatoes and add in remaining ingredients; Beat until smooth.
- Bake for 15 min or until lightly brown on top.
Simple and tasty... I never used to eat yams (they never used to be common around here)... so I'm just learning how yummy they can be. I used a hand mixer to mash and beat them into fluffiness... made a nice texture. Thanks for the recipe!
Awesome! I loved it and am going to make it often and not just for holidays. The only thing I would change is that it has a more subtle flavor when made with 3 large yams instead of 2. I have made it both with 2 yams and with 3 yams and prefer it with the 3. Either way it is VERY good! Oh, plus I did not bake them but just whipped them up and served them like you would mashed potatoes.