Recipe by Julesong
I love spring rolls! I have great memories from during my teenage years when I'd get them at a restaurant in Woodburn, Oregon, for my lunches. This is one of my comfort foods. I'd rather bake them than fry them, any day. Here's the recipe I use. Don't be daunted by the large ingredient list... the items just make them that more tasty! :)
- 2 tablespoons reduced sodium soy sauce
- 1⁄2 teaspoon grated peeled gingerroot
- 1⁄2 teaspoon packed light brown sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 minced garlic clove, to taste
- 1⁄3 cup cooked rice noodles (also known as cellophane noodles, and I sometimes use more and pack 'em in!)
- 1 green onion, julienned (scallion)
- 1 carrot, finely grated
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and julienned
- 1⁄2 green bell peppers (I prefer the yellow) or 1⁄2 yellow bell pepper, seeded and julienned (I prefer the yellow)
- 1⁄4 cup finely shredded cabbage or 1⁄4 cup julienned cabbage
- 1 cup trimmed snow pea pods, julienned
- 1 cup bean sprouts
- 1⁄4 cup water chestnut, julienned
- 4 (7 inch) square egg roll wraps
- 2 teaspoons olive oil or 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil or 1 teaspoon toasted sesame oil
- hot Chinese mustard (and or or, not necessarily one or the other) or plum sauce, for garnish (and or or, not necessarily one or the other)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Spray a cooking sheet with non-stick cooking spray, or line with parchment.
- In a large bowl, combine the soy sauce, ginger, brown sugar, salt, and minced garlic. Add the rice noodles, green onion, carrot, bell peppers, cabbage, snow peas, bean sprouts, and water chestnuts; toss to coat. Place the egg roll wrappers on a clean dry work surface. Divide the mixture evenly among the wrappers; fold in the ends and roll up jelly roll fashion.
- Combine the olive or vegetable oil and sesame oil. Lightly brush each spring roll with oil mixture and place on the prepared baking sheet.
- Bake at 375 degrees F until the spring rolls are crisp on the bottoms; about 10 minutes; turn and bake until crisp all over, about 7 to 10 more minutes.
- Serve with mustard or plum sauce if desired. If you can't get egg roll wrappers, you can also use phyllo sheets.