Recipe by RedSoxInMD
Baked pasta with peppers, red onion, garlic and turkey sausage. My wife and I have perfected this over the years and love it. Any seasonings may be adjusted to taste, and any short tubular pasta with ridges works well. Hot turkey sausage may be substituted for sweet.
- 1 lb dry penne pasta
- 3 cups light pasta sauce
- 1 1⁄4 lbs sweet Italian turkey sausage links
- 14 1⁄2 ounces diced tomatoes with juice
- 1 large red pepper, julienned
- 1 large green pepper, julienned
- 1 large red onion, cut into eighths
- 5 tablespoons light olive oil
- 6 medium garlic cloves, diced
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon dried basil
- 1 tablespoon dried thyme
- 1 tablespoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon ground pepper
- 2 cups 2% mozzarella cheese, shredded
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Cook pasta according to direction on box.
- Drain and set aside.
- Heat 3 tbsp olive oil in large saute pan over medium-high heat.
- Saute peppers and onion until tender-crisp.
- Remove from pan and set aside.
- Slice turkey sausage links into 1 inch thick slices.
- Add 2 tablespoons olive oil to pan and saute turkey sausage for 20 minutes, or until cooked through.
- Add garlic and cook 30-45 seconds.
- Add tomatoes, tomato paste, oregano, basil, thyme, red pepper flakes, salt, pepper and saute 5 minutes.
- Add peppers and onions back to pan and stir to mix.
- Add pasta and pasta sauce and stir to mix.
- Transfer half of pasta mix to a large baking dish.
- Spread half cheese over pasta.
- Add remaining pasta mix to baking dish and top with remaining cheese.
- Bake at 350°F for 20-30 minutes until bubbling and cheese has begun to brown.