1 hr 15 mins
Baked pasta with peppers, red onion, garlic and turkey sausage. My wife and I have perfected this over the years and love it. Any seasonings may be adjusted to taste, and any short tubular pasta with ridges works well. Hot turkey sausage may be substituted for sweet.
My Private Note
2 cup s ...
Units: US | Metric
- 1 lb dry penne pasta
- 3 cups light pasta sauce
- 1 1/4 lbs sweet Italian turkey sausage links
- 14 1/2 ounces diced tomatoes with juice
- 1 large red pepper, julienned
- 1 large green pepper, julienned
- 1 large red onion, cut into eighths
- 5 tablespoons light olive oil
- 6 medium garlic cloves, diced
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon dried basil
- 1 tablespoon dried thyme
- 1 tablespoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon ground pepper
- 2 cups 2% mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 1Preheat oven to 350°F.
- 2Cook pasta according to direction on box.
- 3Drain and set aside.
- 4Heat 3 tbsp olive oil in large saute pan over medium-high heat.
- 5Saute peppers and onion until tender-crisp.
- 6Remove from pan and set aside.
- 7Slice turkey sausage links into 1 inch thick slices.
- 8Add 2 tablespoons olive oil to pan and saute turkey sausage for 20 minutes, or until cooked through.
- 9Add garlic and cook 30-45 seconds.
- 10Add tomatoes, tomato paste, oregano, basil, thyme, red pepper flakes, salt, pepper and saute 5 minutes.
- 11Add peppers and onions back to pan and stir to mix.
- 12Add pasta and pasta sauce and stir to mix.
- 13Transfer half of pasta mix to a large baking dish.
- 14Spread half cheese over pasta.
- 15Add remaining pasta mix to baking dish and top with remaining cheese.
- 16Bake at 350°F for 20-30 minutes until bubbling and cheese has begun to brown.
Browse Our Top Penne Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Baked Turkey Sausage Penne
Serving Size: 1 (120 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 211.3
- Calories from Fat 59
- Total Fat 6.6 g
- Saturated Fat 0.9 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 222.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 36.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.7 g
- Sugars 2.8 g
- Protein 3.6 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
light pasta sauce
sweet Italian turkey sausage links
2% mozzarella cheese