Prep 10 mins
Cook 10 mins
- 1 1⁄4 cups warm cooked spelt or 1 1⁄4 cups cracked farro
- 3⁄4 cup sliced california ripe olives
- 1⁄3 cup grated asiago cheese
- 1⁄4 cup shredded basil
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon kosher salt
- ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons plain breadcrumbs
- 4 (8 ounce) firm ripe tomatoes
- In a medium sized mixing bowl, combine spelt, 1/2 cup California Ripe Olives, 2 tablespoons asiago cheese, basil, vinegar and salt. Season with pepper to taste. Set aside.
- In a separate bowl, combine breadcrumbs with remaining California Ripe Olives and asiago cheese. Set aside.
- Prepare tomatoes for stuffing by cutting 1/4-inch off of the tops of each. Using a small spoon or melon baller, scoop out seeds and center flesh to make each into a hollow cup (leaving at least 1/4-inch of flesh around sides and bottom). Fill each tomato with 1/2 cup (approximately 3 ounces) of spelt mixture. Top with breadcrumb mixture and place on a high sided baking pan.
- Broil under medium-high heat for 45-90 seconds until golden brown. Serve warm or room temperature.
what a great recipe to use up garden tomatoes, I used cooked brown rice in place of the spelt which worked out well, great recipe thanks for sharing hon!...Kitten:)
www.calolive.org is the original recipe