1/2 Photos of Baked Tomatoes Sicilian Style
1 hr 50 mins
1 hr 30 mins
This recipe is an exercise in simplicity. Don't be dissuaded by the long cooking time, as these juicy Italian beauties only grow more flavorful and caramelized. Serve over hot cooked rice, orzo or couscous to absord all the delicious juices. From The Mediterranean Vegan Kitchen
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Preheat oven to 350.
- 2Lightly grease a shallow baking dish just large enough to hold the tomatoes.
- 3Turn the seeded tomato halves upside down on several layers of paper towels and drain for about 10 minutes.
- 4Arrange the drained tomato halves, cut side up, in the prepared dish.
- 5In a small bowl, mix together the bread crumbs, oregano, and pepper.
- 6Fill the tomato halves with the bread crumb mixture (about 1/2 TBS each).
- 7Season with coarse salt.
- 8Drizzle each half with 1 tsp of the oil.
- 9Bake, uncovered, for 1 1/2 hours, or until the tops are nicely browned and caramelized.
- 10Let cool slightly before serving, or serve at room temperature.
- 11For best results, do not refrigerate.
Browse Our Top Vegetable Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Vegetable Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Baked Tomatoes Sicilian Style
Serving Size: 1 (202 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 139.3
- Calories from Fat 87
- Total Fat 9.7 g
- Saturated Fat 1.4 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 58.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 12.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.5 g
- Sugars 5.2 g
- Protein 2.5 g