Prep 10 mins
Cook 45 mins
This recipe can be made a day ahead and stored in your refrigerator. This recipe is adapted from a magazine. Prep and cook time does not include the time it takes to cook and mash the squash.
- 1360.77 g yellow squash or 1360.77 g zucchini
- 118.29 ml butter, melted
- 118.29 ml chopped onion
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 14.79 ml sugar
- 4.92 ml salt
- 2.46 ml black pepper
- 236.59 ml fresh breadcrumb
- Slice squash.
- Boil or steam until tender.
- Drain, then mash the squash.
- Preheat oven to 375º.
- In a large bowl, combine mashed squash, half of the melted butter, onion, eggs, sugar, salt and pepper. Spoon into a 2 quart casserole.
- Combine bread crumbs with the remaining butter and sprinkle over the squash.
- Bake 45 minutes.
Cut the recipe in half, followed exactly but really just too blah for us. I think I wish I would have followed Parsley and added cheese but then this gets just like so many others. Thx for posting however!
This was excellent! I used one large zucchini and 3 small summer squash (which boiled away to nothing but seeds), and this served 4 of us. Even our kids ate it. I did add some cheddar cheese to the top of the breadcrumbs before baking. Thanks for sharing!
This was soooooo good! Total comfort food! I must admit, as I was making it, I had my doubts. The key to this is to really drain the cooked squash really really well...get all the water out. I boiled my chopped onion with the squash. I also added about 1/2 cup of shredded cheddar cheese to the mashed squash. The top got nice and brown. I could easily eat this all by itself for a meal. Kids loved it. I'm gonna make this often!! Thanx for sharing it!