An Enticing Presentation full of flavor making nutritious, delicious & easy. Be sure to pick firm tomatoes not over ripe one so they hold their shape when baked. The salting of the tomatoes will make the firmer for baking. So don't skip it.
- 4 large firm ripe tomatoes
- 2 large white potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 2 tablespoons butter or 2 tablespoons margarine
- 2 tablespoons low-fat mayonnaise
- 1⁄4 cup low-fat milk, warmed
- salt and pepper
- 1⁄2 lb 90% lean ground beef
- 1⁄4 cup carrot, finely minced
- 1⁄3 cup white onion, minced
- 2 -4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground pepper
- 1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1⁄8-1⁄4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- 1 tablespoon pecorino romano cheese
- fresh basil
- Mashed Potatoes:.
- Boil potatoes in salted water till tender.
- Drain and mash with the butter, mayonnaise and milk. Season with salt and pepper.
- Set aside.
- Prepare Tomatoes:.
- Cut tops off of tomatoes. Save lids as a garnish. Scoop out insides of tomatoes, leaving outer layer intact. Discard seeds, and dice pulp for use in filling.
- Sprinkle inside of tomatoes with salt, and invert onto paper towel to drain. Let sit inverted while you prepare filling, at least 20 minutes.
- Pre heat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Prepare filling:.
- Over high heat brown beef, carrots, onions, garlic and cook until golden brown, 8-10 minutes. Stirring often.
- Add the diced tomatoes that were set aside, salt, balsamic vinegar, pepper, oregano, and basil and stir in cook 2 more minutes. Add 1/2 cup of the mashed potatoes to the meat mixture and mix in, using as a binder.
- Stuff each of the hollowed, tomatoes with 1/4 of the filling, mound 1/4 of the mashed potatoes on the meat filling. Fork the potatoes so they have a texture: pour evenly the butter on each: then sprinkling the cheese.
- Place on parchment paper in a baking dish.
- Bake for 20 minutes until hot and then broil tops just to brown.
- Garnish by placing un-baked tomato top "lids" back on tomatoes at a slight angle, garnish with fresh basil or green onions.