1/6 Photos of Baked Stuffed Tomatoes Topped With Mashed Potato
An Enticing Presentation full of flavor making nutritious, delicious & easy. Be sure to pick firm tomatoes not over ripe one so they hold their shape when baked. The salting of the tomatoes will make the firmer for baking. So don't skip it.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 large firm ripe tomatoes
- 2 large white potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 2 tablespoons butter or 2 tablespoons margarine
- 2 tablespoons low-fat mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup low-fat milk, warmed
- salt and pepper
- 1/2 lb 90% lean ground beef
- 1/4 cup carrot, finely minced
- 1/3 cup white onion, minced
- 2 -4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground pepper
- 1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/8-1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1Mashed Potatoes:.
- 2Boil potatoes in salted water till tender.
- 3Drain and mash with the butter, mayonnaise and milk. Season with salt and pepper.
- 4Set aside.
- 5Prepare Tomatoes:.
- 6Cut tops off of tomatoes. Save lids as a garnish. Scoop out insides of tomatoes, leaving outer layer intact. Discard seeds, and dice pulp for use in filling.
- 7Sprinkle inside of tomatoes with salt, and invert onto paper towel to drain. Let sit inverted while you prepare filling, at least 20 minutes.
- 8Pre heat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- 9Prepare filling:.
- 10Over high heat brown beef, carrots, onions, garlic and cook until golden brown, 8-10 minutes. Stirring often.
- 11Add the diced tomatoes that were set aside, salt, balsamic vinegar, pepper, oregano, and basil and stir in cook 2 more minutes. Add 1/2 cup of the mashed potatoes to the meat mixture and mix in, using as a binder.
- 12Stuff each of the hollowed, tomatoes with 1/4 of the filling, mound 1/4 of the mashed potatoes on the meat filling. Fork the potatoes so they have a texture: pour evenly the butter on each: then sprinkling the cheese.
- 13Place on parchment paper in a baking dish.
- 14Bake for 20 minutes until hot and then broil tops just to brown.
- 15Garnish by placing un-baked tomato top "lids" back on tomatoes at a slight angle, garnish with fresh basil or green onions.
Browse Our Top Lunch/Snacks Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Lunch/Snacks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Baked Stuffed Tomatoes Topped With Mashed Potato
Serving Size: 1 (371 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 299.7
- Calories from Fat 134
- Total Fat 14.9 g
- Saturated Fat 7.9 g
- Cholesterol 60.5 mg
- Sodium 477.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 27.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.4 g
- Sugars 7.4 g
- Protein 15.4 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
pecorino romano cheese