Prep 20 mins
Cook 2 hrs
A nice change to broiling or grilling, the gravy is delicious. I always serve this with mashed potatoes.
- 3 lbs beef top round steak
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- salt, pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 1⁄2 cups beef stock
- 3 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 1⁄2 lbs sliced onions
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Pound steak to tenderize.
- Dredge both sides in flour, salt and pepper.
- In heavy oven proof skillet heat oil, add steak and brown on both sides, remove add stock, bring to boil, scraping bits off pan.
- Add Worcestershire sauce, more salt and pepper to taste; remove from heat.
- Layer half the onions in pan, add steak, layer rest of onions, broth, spoon some broth on top.
- Bake for 2 hours, covered, basting steak after 1 hour.
- Remove to cutting board and slice.
- Serve with the gravy.
Wow Chia, another great recipe. The steak was so tender and tasty. Love Worcestershire sauce, I added a little dried onion soup mix also, plus onions. Gravy was great over mashed potatoes. Dh loved it. Great recipe for a cheaper cut of steak and so easy to make.
chia....wonderful! Gravy is super and even better over mashed potatoes! The ONLY way to use an old round steak from no on!
Chia this steak was just outstanding! Quite a simple recipe and so easy for something so good. The onions and Worcestershire sauce really make it! The gravey is the best ever. The only problem I had, and it was not really a probelm, was that I had to keep an eye on it because the gravy had a tendency to cook away, so I just kept adding a little more beef stock, I think in the end I used about 31/2 cups total. An outstanding recipe, thanks for sharing.