Recipe by Derf
Wonderfull with all kinds of bbq meals!! from the local newpaper.
Top Review by Sue Lau
OMG! Dorothy, this is so good, it is almost beyond words! Besides being a fantastic sauerkraut side dish, I see the potential for this to be a great topping for cabbage rolls. I will definitely be covering up mine with this the next time I fix those! I said that to my husband and he was nodding his head emphatically, YES! YES! YES! Not only will this be a regular in my collection, I imagine it won't be long before I have this recipe memorized! Thanks, Dorothy!
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons bacon drippings or 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 large walla walla onions or 1 large Spanish onion, coarsley chopped
- 2 whole tart cooking apples, sliced and chopped
- 1 (32 ounce) jar sauerkraut, drained and dried 'til crunchy
- 1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup dry white wine
- hot sauce
Directions See How It's Made
- Melt butter and bacon drippings if using in a large frypan.
- Swirl to mix.
- Add onion and apples, saute until nearly tender.
- Combine with sauekraut in a large mixing bowl.
- Stir in crushed tomatoes, undrained, brown sugar, wine and hot sauce.
- Stir well and turn into a 13 x 9 inch baking dish.
- Cover tightly and bake at 325f degrees 1 hour.
- Uncover and bake 30 to 45 minutes more.